- c.440: Tarasicodissa Rousoumbladeotes
- November 474: Zeno
- January 475: resigns
- August 476: returns
- 9 April 491: natural death
Successor of: Leo I, Leo II
- father: Kodisas
- married to: Ariadne, daughter of Leo I
- children: Leo II
- Made career during the reign of Leo I.
- 467 marries the emperor's daughter Ariadne.
- 469 Consul (with Flavius Marcianus).
- 473 Leo I appoints the son of Zeno and Ariadne, called Leo II, as successor.
- 474 The boy Leo II is consul; death of Leo I, soon followed by Leo II. Zeno succeeds his father-in-law and his son; at the same time, the East-Roman nobleman Julius Nepos, supported by Leo I and Zeno, gains the throne of the western empire.
- 475 Zeno consul II; he is briefly dethroned by Basiliscus, who is supported by his sister, Verina (widow of Leo I)
- During this vacuum, a Germanic leader named Orestes expels Julius Nepos from the throne in Rome and makes his son Romulus Augustulus the new emperor of the western empire.
- 476 Zeno returns with help of the Ostrogothic king Theodoric; meanwhile, the soldiers in Italy have revolted; their leader Odoacer puts an end to the reign of Romulus Augustulus; end of the West-Roman empire.
- 478 Verina, collaborating with Epinikos, attempts to overthrow the master of offices Illus; he discovers it, and has her exiled to Tarsus
- 479 Consul III; conspiracy of Marcianus (son of Anthemius, grandson of Marcianus).
- 482 The empress Ariadne tries to murder Illus, the master of offices; Illus leaves court; pope Acacius published the Henoticon.
- 483 Insurrection of Illus, who receives support from Verina
- 484 Theodoric consul; pope Felix III condemns patriarch Acacius (beginning of the Acacian Schism); Verina crowns Leontius emperor; they establish a rival court in Antioch; in the Sasanian Empire, Peroz is succeeded by Valkaš.
- 485 Theodoric's Ostrogoths expel Leontius and Illus from Antioch.
- 487/488 Theodoric gets permission to occupy Italy.
- 488 End of the insurrection of Leontius and Illus; Theodoric starts to invade Italy; in the Sasanian Empire, Valkaš is succeeded by Kavad I.
- 491, 9 April: Dies in a fit of epilepsy
- 493 Theodoric kills Odoacer; becomes master of Italy.
Succeeded by: Anastasius I