home   :    ancient Persia    :    Achaemenid Royal inscriptions   :   index    :    article by Jona Lendering ©

The Behistun inscription

Relief at Behistun. Photo Ab Langereis. The Behistun relief
Behistun or Bisotun: town in Iran, site of several ancient monuments, including a famous inscription by the Persian king Darius I the Great (522- 486 BCE), the great organizer of the Achaemenid empire.

On these pages, you can find drawings, a translitteration and an adapted version of the King/Thompson translation of the inscription.

Ancient-Warfare.com, the online home of Ancient Warfare magazine

Column 1, lines 1-8

1. \ adam \ D‚rayavauš \ xš‚yathiya \ vazraka \ xš‚yatha \ xš‚yathiy
  2. ‚n‚m \ xš‚yathiya \ P‚rsaiy \ xš‚yathiya \ dahyŻn‚m \ Višt
  3. ‚spahy‚ \ puÁa \ Arš‚mahy‚ nap‚ \ Hax‚manišiya \ th‚tiy \
  4. D‚rayavauš \ xš‚yathiya \ man‚ \ pit‚ \ Višt‚spa \ Višt‚spahy‚ \ pit‚ \ Arš
  5. ‚ma \ Arš‚mahy‚ \ pit‚ \ Ariy‚ramna \ Ariy‚ramnahy‚ \ pit‚\ Cišpiš \ Cišp
  6. ‚iš \ pit‚ \ Hax‚maniš \ th‚tiy \ D‚rayavauš \ xš‚thiya \ avahyar‚
  7. diy \ vayam \ Hax‚manišiy‚ \ thahy‚mahy \ hac‚ \ paruviyata \ ‚m‚t‚ \ ama
  8. hy hac‚ \ paruviyata \hy‚ \am‚xam \ taum‚ \ xš‚yathiy‚ \ ‚ha \ th

Darius the Great on the Behistun Relief. Photo Peter Veerman.
Darius
(1) I am Darius, the great king, king of kings, the king of Persia, the king of countries, the son of Hystaspes, the grandson of Arsames, the Achaemenid.

(2) King Darius says: My father is Hystaspes; the father of Hystaspes was Arsames; the father of Arsames was Ariaramnes; the father of Ariaramnes was Teispes; the father of Teispes was Achaemenes.

(3) King Darius says: That is why we are called Achaemenids; from antiquity we have been noble; from antiquity has our dynasty been royal.

to Column 1, lines 9-17

home   :    ancient Persia   :   index
   :    Achaemenid Royal inscriptions