home   :    ancient Persia    :    Achaemenid Royal inscriptions   :   index    :    article by Jona Lendering ©

The Behistun inscription

Relief at Behistun. Photo Ab Langereis. The Behistun relief
Behistun or Bisotun: town in Iran, site of several ancient monuments, including a famous inscription by the Persian king Darius I the Great (522- 486 BCE), the great organizer of the Achaemenid empire.

On these pages, you can find drawings, a translitteration and an adapted version of the King/Thompson translation of the inscription.

Ancient-Warfare.com, the online home of Ancient Warfare magazine

Column 1, lines 18-26

1. yavauš \ xš‚yathiya \ im‚ \ dahy‚va \ ty‚ \ man‚ \ patiy‚ita \ vašn‚ \ Au
  2. ramazd‚ha \ man‚ \ badak‚ \ ‚hat‚ \ man‚ \ b‚jim \ abarat‚ \ tyaš‚m \ hac‚ma
  3. \ athahya \ xšapava \ raucapativ‚ \ ava \ akunavayat‚ \ th‚tiy \ D‚rayava
  4. uš \ xš‚yathiya \ atar \ im‚ \ dahy‚va \ martiya \ hya \ ‚gariya \ ‚ha \ avam \ u
  5. bartam \ abaram \ hya \ arika \ ‚ha \ avam \ ufrastam \ aparsam \ vašn‚ \ Auramazd‚
  6. ha \ im‚ \ dahy‚va \ tyan‚ \ man‚ \ d‚t‚ \ apariy‚ya \ yath‚š‚m \ hac‚ma \  athah
  7. ya \ avath‚ \ akunavayat‚ \ th‚tiy \ D‚rayavauš \ xš‚yathiya \ Auramazd‚
  8. maiy \ ima xšaÁam \ fr‚bara \ Auramazd‚maiy \ upast‚m \ abara \ y‚t‚ \ ima \  xšaÁam \
  9. hamad‚rayaiy \ vašn‚ \ Auramazd‚ha \ ima \ xšaÁam \ d‚ray‚miy \ th‚

(7) King Darius says: These are the countries which are subject to me; by the grace of Ahuramazda they became subject to me; they brought tribute unto me. Whatsoever commands have been laid on them by me, by night or by day, have been performed by them.

(8) King Darius says: Within these lands, whosoever was a friend, him have I surely protected; whosoever was hostile, him have I utterly destroyed. By the grace of Ahuramazda these lands have conformed to my decrees; as it was commanded unto them by me, so was it done.

(9) King Darius says: Ahuramazda has granted unto me this empire. Ahuramazda brought me help, until I gained this empire; by the grace of Ahuramazda do I hold this empire.

to Column 1, lines 27-35

home   :    ancient Persia   :   index
   :    Achaemenid Royal inscriptions