home   :    ancient Persia    :    Achaemenid Royal inscriptions   :   index    :    article by Jona Lendering ©

The Behistun inscription

Relief at Behistun. Photo Ab Langereis. The Behistun relief
Behistun or Bisotun: town in Iran, site of several ancient monuments, including a famous inscription by the Persian king Darius I the Great (522- 486 BCE), the great organizer of the Achaemenid empire.

On these pages, you can find drawings, a translitteration and an adapted version of the King/Thompson translation of the inscription.

Ancient-Warfare.com, the online home of Ancient Warfare magazine

Column 5, lines 18-26

Sak‚ tigrakhaud‚. Relief from the eastern stairs of the Apadana at Persepolis. Photo Marco Prins.
Sak‚ tigrakhaud‚. Relief from
the eastern stairs of the
Apadana at Persepolis (more).
  1. \ th‚tiy D‚rayavauš \ xš‚yathiya \ hya \ Auramazd‚
  2. m \ yad‚taiy \ y‚nam \ avah‚ \ ahatiy \ ut‚ \ jÓvah
  3. y‚ \ ut‚ \ martahy‚ \ th‚tiy \ D‚rayavauš \ xš
  4. ‚yathiya \ pas‚va \ had‚ \ k‚r‚ \ adam \ ašiyavam \ abiy \ Sak
  5. ‚m \ pas‚ \ Sak‚ \ tyaiy \ xaud‚m \ tigr‚m \ barati
  6. y \ imaiy \ Sak‚ \ hac‚ma \ ‚iša \ yadiy \ abiy \ draya \ a
  7. v‚rasam \ parašim \ avad‚ \ had‚ \ k‚r‚ \ vis‚ \ viyatara
  8. yam \ pas‚va \ adam \ Sak‚ \ vasiy \ ajanam \ aniyam \ aga
  9. rb‚yam \ hauv \ basta \ anayat‚ \ abiy \ m‚m \ ut

(73) King Darius says: Whoso shall worship Ahuramazda, divine blessing will be upon him, both while living and when dead.

(74a) King Darius says: Afterwards with an army I went off to Scythia, after the Scythians who wear the pointed cap. These Scythians went from me. When I arrived at the river, I crossed beyond it then with all my army. Afterwards, I smote the Scythians exceedingly; [one of their leaders] I took captive; he was led bound to me, and I killed him.

to Column 5, lines 27-36

home   :    ancient Persia   :   index
   :    Achaemenid Royal inscriptions