Aurelian: emperor of the Roman world (270-275).
- 9 September 214: Lucius Domitius Aurelianus
- September 270: Imperator Caesar Lucius Domitius Aurelianus Augustus
- September 275: murdered by his secretary
Successor of: Quintillus
- married to: Ulpia Severina
- 214 Born in Dacia Ripensis or Sirmium
- c.269 Dux equitum during the reign of Claudius II Gothicus
- 270 Claudius II Gothicus dies of the plague; his brother Quintillus is unable to establish himself and is replaced by Aurelian; Palmyrene troops occupy Alexandria; Aurelian goes to Rome
- 271 Consul (with Tiberius Pomponius Bassus II); successful war against the Vandals, Juthungi and Sarmatians; accepts the title Germanicus maximus; Aurelian goes to Rome; orders construction of a new wall for Rome
- 271/272 Several insurrections: Domitianus, Urbanus, Septimius (in Dalmatia). None of these lasts very long.
- 272 In the Sasanian empire, Shapur I dies and is succeeded by Hormizd I; Aurelian proceeds to the east and defeats the Visigoths on the Balkans; evacuation of Roman positions in Dacia; accepts the titles Gothicus maximus and Dacicus maximus; defeats Zenobia/Vaballathus and captures Palmyra; returns to Byzantium; accepts the titles Parthicus (Persicus?) maximus, Arabicus maximus, Palmyrenicus maximus
- 273 War against the Carpians; accepts the title Carpicus maximus; second conquest of Palmya; in the Sasanian empire, Hormizd I is succeeded by Bahram I; Carpicus maximus; Aurelian visits Egypt; triumph in Rome
- 274 Consul II (with Capitolinus); defeats the emperor of the Gallic Empire, Tetricus, in a bloody battle; accepts the title Restitutor orbis; reforms monetary system; triumph; dedicates the temple of the Sun
- 275 Consul III (with Marcellinus); tour of the northern provinces; killed by soldiers
Temple of the Sun; wall of Aurelian
I Illyricorum; IIII Martia
- 270 Death of Plotinus
Succeeded by: Tacitus
- D. Kienast, Römische Kaisertabelle: Grundzüge einer römischen Kaiserchronologie (2004 (3rd ed.)).