Behistun or Bisotun: town in Iran, site of several ancient monuments, including a famous inscription by the Persian king Darius I the Great (r.522-486 BCE), the great organizer of the Achaemenid Empire.
On these pages, you can find drawings, a transliteration and an adapted version of the King/Thompson translation of the inscription.
Column iv, lines 40-49
- y \ thâtiy \ Dârayavauš \ xsâyathiya \ ima \ tya \ adam \ akunavam \
- vašnâ \ Auramazdâha \ hamahyâyâ \ tharda \ akunavam \ tuvam \ kâ \ hya
- \ aparam \ imâm \ dipim \ patiparsâhy \ tya \ manâ \ kartam \ varnavatâm
- \ thuvâm \ mâtya \ draugam \ maniyâhay \ thâtiy \ Dârayavauš \ xšâ
- yathiya \ Auramazdâha \ ragam \ vartaiyaiy \ yathâ \ ima \ hašiyam \ naiy \ duru
- xtam \ adam \ akunavam \ hamahyâyâ \ tharda \ thâtiy \ Dârayavauš \ xšâya
- thiya \ vašnâ \ Auramazdâha \ utâmaiy \ aniyašciy \ vasiy \ astiy \ karta
- m \ ava \ ahyâyâ \ dipiyâ \ naiy \ nipištam \ avahyarâdiy \ naiy \ n
- ipištam \ mâtya \ hya \ aparam \ imâm \ dipim \ patiparsâtiy \ avah
- yâ \ paruv \ thadayâtaiy \ tya \ manâ \ kartam \ naišim \ ima \ varnavâtaiy \ d
(56) King Darius says: This is what I have done, by the grace of Ahuramazda have I always acted. Whosoever shall read this inscription hereafter, let that which I have done be believed. You must not hold it to be lies.
(57) King Darius says: I call Ahuramazda to witness that is true and not lies; all of it have I done in a single year.
(58) King Darius says: By the grace of Ahuramazda I did much more, which is not graven in this inscription. On this account it has not been inscribed lest he who shall read this inscription hereafter should then hold that which has been done by me to be excessive and not believe it and takes it to be lies.