Commemoration of a Greek boxer
|Tyre (Phoenician רצ, ṣūr, "rock"; Greek Τúρος; Latin Tyrus):
port in Phoenicia and one of the main cities in the eastern
On several places in the city of Tyre,
inscriptions can be seen. Given the importance of the capital of Syria
Phoenice, we would have expected more of them. The first inscription, shown top left and written
in Greek, commemorates a successful boxer, and can be found at the end
of the Mosaic Road.
The inscriptions below, in Latin, can be found along the same
street, near the Square Building.
The first one (known as AE 1995, 1569) records the career of one
Publius Valerius Protogenianus, officer in three named units. On the
other side of this prism (known as AE 2006, 1587; second photo) is a
dedication to the emperor Diocletian by a governor named Lucius Artorius Pius Maximus.
The second prism (AE 2006, 1597; third photo) was erected by a speculator,
a Roman agent at a foreign court, named Lucius Aemilius Antoninus, who
commemorated a woman whose father had been a consul,
probably wife. Finally, the fourth photo is a milestone from the age of the emperor Philip the Arab (244-249).