Zeno I (©!!)
of the East-Roman (Byzantine) empire (474-475, 476-491).
Successor of: Leo
- c.440: Tarasicodissa Rousoumbladeotes
- November 474: Zeno
- January 475: resigns
- August 476: returns
- 9 April 491: natural death
- father: Kodisas
- married to: Ariadne, daughter of
- children: Leo
Succeeded by: Anastasius
- Made career during the reign of Leo
- 467 marries the emperor's daughter Ariadne.
- 469 Consul
(with Flavius Marcianus).
- 473 Leo I appoints the son of Zeno and Ariadne,
II, as successor.
- 474 The boy Leo II is consul; death of Leo I, soon
followed by Leo II.
Zeno succeeds his father-in-law and his son; at the same time, the
Nepos, supported by Leo I and Zeno, gains the throne of the
- 475 Zeno consul II; he is briefly dethroned by
Basiliscus, who is supported by his sister, Verina (widow of Leo I)
- During this
vacuum, a Germanic leader named Orestes expels Julius Nepos from the
in Rome and makes his son Romulus
Augustulus the new emperor of the western empire.
- 476 Zeno returns with help of the Ostrogothic king
the soldiers in Italy have revolted; their leader Odoacer puts an end
the reign of Romulus Augustulus; end of the West-Roman empire.
- 478 Verina, collaborating with Epinikos, attempts to
overthrow the master of offices Illus; he discovers it, and has
her exiled to Tarsus
- 479 Consul III; conspiracy of Marcianus (son of Anthemius,
grandson of Marcianus).
- 482 The empress Ariadne tries to murder Illus, the
master of offices; Illus
leaves court; pope Acacius published the Henoticon.
- 483 Insurrection of Illus, who receives support from Verina
- 484 Theodoric consul; pope Felix III condemns
patriarch Acacius (beginning of the Acacian Schism); Verina crowns
they establish a rival
court in Antioch; in the Sasanian
Empire, Peroz is succeeded by Valkaš.
- 485 Theodoric's Ostrogoths expel Leontius and Illus
- 487/488 Theodoric gets permission to occupy Italy.
- 488 End of the insurrection of Leontius and Illus;
Theodoric starts to
invade Italy; in the Sasanian Empire, Valkaš is succeeded by
- 491, 9 April: Dies in a fit of epilepsy
- 493 Theodoric kills Odoacer; becomes master of Italy.