Claudius II Gothicus: emperor of the Roman world (268-270).
- 10 May 214: full name unknown
- September/October 268: Imperator Caesar Marcus Aurelius Claudius Augustus
- First half September 270: natural death
Successor of: Gallienus
- 214 Born in Illyricum?
- Military tribune during the reign of Decius
- 268 Proclaimed emperor after the murder of Gallienus; puts Aureolus to death; defeats the Alamans in northern Italy; accepts the title Germanicus maximus
- 268/269 Brief stay in Rome; accepts the title Gothicus maximus
- Marmarian War (Cyrenaica); Cyrene refounded as Claudiopolis
- 269 Consul (with Paternus); decisive victory over the Visigoths at Naissus; the Heruli sack Athens; Palmyrene Empire breaks with Rome
- 270 Accepts the title Parthicus Maximus; succumbs to the Plague in Sirmium; his brother Quintillus is unable to establish himself and is succeeded by Aurelian
Succeeded by: Quintillus, Aurelian
- 270 Death of Plotinus