Tiberias: capital of Galilee, founded by Herod Antipas.
- On the western shore of Lake Galilee
- capital of Galilee, founded between 17 and 20 CE by Herod Antipas, who wanted a second residence (besides Sepphoris)
- unfortunately, situated on top of a cemetery; few people wanted to settle over there
- during the Jewish Revolt not pro-rebel
- c.235 rabbi Yohanan ben Nappah creates a school; Tiberias becomes an important center of rabbinical Judaism
- c.450 eind of this rabbinical center
- Justinian builds a church