Behistun T 03
Behistun or Bisotun: town in Iran, site of several ancient monuments, including a famous inscription by the Persian king Darius I the Great (r.522-486 BCE), the great organizer of the Achaemenid Empire.
On these pages, you can find drawings, a transliteration and an adapted version of the King/Thompson translation of the inscription.
Column i, lines 18-26
- yavauš \ xšâyathiya \ imâ \ dahyâva \ tyâ \ manâ \ patiyâita \ vašnâ \ Au
- ramazdâha \ manâ \ badakâ \ âhatâ \ manâ \ bâjim \ abaratâ \ tyašâm \ hacâma
- \ athahya \ xšapava \ raucapativâ \ ava \ akunavayatâ \ thâtiy \ Dârayava
- uš \ xšâyathiya \ atar \ imâ \ dahyâva \ martiya \ hya \ âgariya \ âha \ avam \ u
- bartam \ abaram \ hya \ arika \ âha \ avam \ ufrastam \ aparsam \ vašnâ \ Auramazdâ
- ha \ imâ \ dahyâva \ tyanâ \ manâ \ dâtâ \ apariyâya \ yathâšâm \ hacâma \ athah
- ya \ avathâ \ akunavayatâ \ thâtiy \ Dârayavauš \ xšâyathiya \ Auramazdâ
- maiy \ ima xšaçam \ frâbara \ Auramazdâmaiy \ upastâm \ abara \ yâtâ \ ima \ xšaçam \
- hamadârayaiy \ vašnâ \ Auramazdâha \ ima \ xšaçam \ dârayâmiy \ thâ
(7) King Darius says: These are the countries which are subject to me; by the grace of Ahuramazda they became subject to me; they brought tribute unto me. Whatsoever commands have been laid on them by me, by night or by day, have been performed by them.
(8) King Darius says: Within these lands, whosoever was a friend, him have I surely protected; whosoever was hostile, him have I utterly destroyed. By the grace of Ahuramazda these lands have conformed to my decrees; as it was commanded unto them by me, so was it done.
(9) King Darius says: Ahuramazda has granted unto me this empire. Ahuramazda brought me help, until I gained this empire; by the grace of Ahuramazda do I hold this empire.